Saturday, December 18, 2010

Yarn wrapped Christmas trees

Trees Every year, the moms board of which I'm a part does a holiday gift exchange. It has to be something handmade and cost under $20. 


I remember the first year I participated and shook in my shoes thinking that I had to make something for someone else. Something that didn't suck.


I've survived without hitting up Etsy so far, but this year, I drew Gail's name. 


Now, Gail is the queen of craft and beauty. Her photography is art. She can sew anything without a pattern. She makes amazing things from paper.


If you can dream it, Gail can make it.


I was nervous.


I commiserated with our mutual friend, Constance, who gave me some wonderful ideas, but best of all, reminded me that Gail would love whatever it was because it was made by a friend.


With that reminder, I settled on something that I thought at first was too modest and easy.


Yarn wrapped Christmas trees. 


I found the tutorial on Pretty Ditty awhile back and have been dying to make these ever since.


They are so simplistically beautiful. The texture, the muted colors, the bright pop of the berries. I just love them.


But they are SO EASY to make. I wasn't sure it was the right gift for the woman who can do anything.


I think though, that she likes them. She took this picture of them, and makes them even more beautiful than they really are.


Then again, that's what her gift is. She brings beauty to the ordinary. Every day.


Merry Christmas, my friend.



4 comments:

Sew . . . what do you think?